Applications for the Dwight Beckham Young Soloists Competition are closed for this season. Check back in the Fall 2020 for information regarding next year’s competition.
Applicants will be auditioning for a solo opportunity during the 2019-20 SeasonDownload application (PDF) Competition Information (PDF)
Concert Date: Sunday, February 16, 2020
Congratulations to our 2019-20 Winners:
Josue Coy Dick
Newton High School
Chu Yu Wu
Kansas Wesleyan University
- High School Division: Wind, brass, string, percussion and piano students attending schools or home schooled in Harvey, Marion, Reno, Butler and McPherson Counties. Students must be at least 16 years of age and be in private lessons.
- College Division: College students including ACCK and other colleges in Harvey, Marion, Reno, Butler, Rice, Saline and McPherson Counties. Wind, brass, string, percussion, piano, and vocal students. Students must be involved in private music study at the school they attend.
* Previous first place winners may not compete again in the same division on the same instrument. Previous High School division winners may compete in the College division on the same instrument.
Audition and Repertoire Information:
Applicants should be prepared to perform one movement of a standard concerto or concert piece that they expect to perform at the final concert. The selection should not exceed 12 minutes in length for the audition including all solo parts to be performed during the concert, and no more than 15 min. for the concert, including orchestral exposition. Piano soloists should have their pieces memorized. Students will provide their own audition accompanist.
Repertoire exemptions (played by soloists in the last five years)
- Beethoven, Piano Concerto No. 4, G Major, op. 58, mvt. I
- Milhaud, Scaramouche for Saxophone and Orchestra
- Pryor, Blue Bells of Scotland for trombone and orchestra
- Maurice, Tableaux de Provence
- David, Concertino No. 4 in E flat major, mvt. II, III, for trombone and orchestra
- Kabalevsky Piano Concerto No. 3 “Youth”
- Stamitz Clarinet Concerto No. 3 in Bb Major
- Gregson, Tuba Concerto, Mvt. I
- Weber, Clarinet Concerto No. 2, Op. 74, Mvt. I
Auditions will be held on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019; individual times and location TBA.
Application deadline is Oct. 21, 2019. All applications must include a $20 application fee, which is non-refundable. Please make checks payable to the Newton Mid-Kansas Symphony Orchestra or NMKSO.
Completed application materials should be sent to:
Newton Mid-Kansas Symphony Orchestra
P.O. Box 245
North Newton, KS 67117
If you have any questions, please contact Jill Gatz at 316-772-3265 or email@example.com
The decision of the adjudicators will be final. NMKSO reserves the right to deny a winner in either category if, in their opinion, participants do not qualify. NMKSO reserves the right to reject any music selections based on availability and/or cost of orchestral parts. The winner of the competition must be available to rehearse with the orchestra during the weekend of the performance (including Fri. evening and Sat. afternoon) at the discretion of the Music Director.